Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General Forum for the P2-platform S60 / V70 / XC70 / S80 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Axle ping ???

Views : 2874

Replies : 10

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Aug 10th, 2009, 22:36   #1
LPGjonderby

Question Axle ping ???

Please can you guys give me some clues with reference to axle ping ?

My recently purchased 2003 110k D5 makes pinging noises which at first I thought were the clutch springs as its on its original clutch.

However I have been driving at low speeds down our local lanes with the front windows down, it would appear the pinging occurs when I lift on and off the power at low speed in 1st or second, they also occur when reversing or lifting on and off the power when parking.

But it does not do it at speed when lifting on or off or changing to 3rd, 4th or 5th.

Do D5's suffer from axle ping ? Will the XC90 bolts cure the noise as they do on higher end models ?

Otherwise a corking drive for the money

Cheers

Jon
LPGjonderby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 10th, 2009, 22:44   #2
jajrst
Volvo S80 SE Owner

yeah the XC90 bolts will fix this, btw the clutch doesn't have springs as its got a dual mass flywheel
jajrst is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jajrst For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 10th, 2009, 23:07   #3
LPGjonderby

Default How long do they last ?

Thanks for that. Do I assume this is because of the torque output of the engine ?

Whilst a new clutch & DMF sounds very expensive !!! How long do they normaly go for in a D5 ?

Mine is 6 years old. In its 1st 3 years it did 90k up and down the M1, then did 18k up and down the M1 & stood for 3 moths before I bought it.

For the first week it was quite difficult to pull her out of 3rd & 5th, I put this down to standing for a few months, or loads of dust on the input shaft. However it has since freed up and shifts much better now.

However a clutch swap with fly wheel sounds a lot of money, do they last & last & last some more in the D5 ?

Jon
Old Aug 11th, 2009, 09:16   #4
Chris_Rogers
VOC Member

I'd check the tightness of the existing drive shaft bolts first.
Chris_Rogers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 11th, 2009, 11:56   #5
LPGjonderby

Smile

Have tightened them up and pinging has all but gone, will collect the XC90 parts later today.

Just need to get the aircon & fan sorted

Thanks Chris
Old Aug 11th, 2009, 22:13   #6
megdavida

Make sure you loctite them in if you fit "normal" D5 bolts, i re-loctited mine 2 yrs ago after the "ping" and been ok since !
megdavida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 12th, 2009, 11:36   #7
LPGjonderby

I have just picked up the XC90 ones which look the same as the originals other than a coned rubber which sits under the washer, I assume this compresses a little and holds them tighter than than the original ones ?

Jon
Old Aug 13th, 2009, 18:45   #8
DTaylor

Sorry for jumping in on this thread, just wondered if anyone can advise me. I have an intermittent knock on the front of mine and it's been in to the garage and they can't find anything wrong. There is no play in any of the bushes or ball joints etc. So after reading this thread I decided to check my drive shaft bolts. Shoved a socket on the end, managed to get about 1/3 of a turn on passengers side and about 1/4 turn on the drivers side one. Didn't have to try that hard, only normal 1/2" drive socket - no scaff bar on the end ;-)

Just wondering if this is normal or should I go and get a couple of new bolts and fit? (interestingly, with all the talk of them coming lose mine were covered in copperslip)
DTaylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 14th, 2009, 08:27   #9
LPGjonderby

They don't come loose as such. They are stretch bolts and are designed to be fittted just the once. Over time they change shape/length due to the forces going threw them. I used the XC90 ones as described on other links. Before fitting I tightened the originals as tight as possible to see if the clicking was down to them being worn. It was so I then threw the old ones away and fitted the XC90 ones. They have a rubber cone which compresses under load when tightening.

I tightened them to 35nm + 120 degree ish.

Jon
Old Oct 14th, 2022, 16:25   #10
Shortos

Apologies for dredging up an old thread but just wanted to add my experience for anyone googling the issue and agree with the advice here regarding Axle Ping

My current 230k 2005 Volvo V70 D5 Manual had a very annoying clunk and knock often when I changed low gears. Also when I was on and off the accelerator. The upper engine mount and front gearbox mount were changed as the others were all in very good condition. This solved other issues but not the annoying clunk knock .. it sounded driveshaft or gearbox related. The car had recently before my ownership had the bearings done on the front and appeared to have re-used at least one of the hub bolts. I replaced them with standard Volvo items and torqued them to 35nm and 90 degrees. Problem solved. Very happy
Shortos is offline   Reply With Quote