Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General Forum for the 850 and P80-platform 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Rear end rattles… is there a definitive cure?

Views : 335

Replies : 8

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old May 4th, 2024, 21:13   #1
Ninjabob81

Default Rear end rattles… is there a definitive cure?

Hi all,

Owned my 850 for almost 8 years now, and can honestly not remember a time where it didn’t sound like the tin man and robocop were beating each other to death in a tin bath in the boot… I’ve tried methodically to eliminate the rattles, adjusting the tailgate until it just shuts. Buying and installing one of the tailgate trim repair kits, tightening up the spring clips on the false floor hatch’s. Applying three pounds of butyl tape to every piece of trim possible. Yesterdays find was the small foam rubber buffer things inside the rear seat back catch’s that have degraded and crumbled allowing loads of free play in the seat back when latched. Carefully used heavy duty silicone to reconstruct the buffers and reinforce them, left them to cure overnight and folded the seats back upright tonight…. All the free play is gone!!! Took it for a test drive, still sounds like I’ve got a badly secured garden shed on the roof..

It’s definitely inside the car, rear strut mounts are fine, nothing loose in the spare wheel well etc. Not Just one noise though there’s many.. I can see me going for a trip round the block in the boot with the missus driving..

Has anyone actually managed to create a silent 850 estate? Do they exist?

Rob.
Ninjabob81 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old May 4th, 2024, 21:49   #2
4x4
Premier Member

I spent a couple of hours today sorting out the noisy/creaky plastic in the back of my V70. Anywhere there were joins in plastic parts or where plastic clips are used to secure into plastic mounts I applied some fabric Tesa electrical tape to prevent plastic to plastic contact. All nice and quiet again until the next time.

My 850 is silent
+ YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.
Volvo 850 GLT website
4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4th, 2024, 22:07   #3
Ninjabob81

Nobody likes a show off…😂 Fair play mate, I’m gonna have to get a roll and get busy.

Rob.
Old May 5th, 2024, 13:56   #4
Baffler
Premier Member

That Tesa tape is brilliant stuff!

I would remove all the plastic trim, clean, dry and apply Tesa tape to the areas where plastic is in direct contact with the body (screw holes) plus apply a dry PTFE spray to where trim is attached with the various plastic clips.

There are two rubber buffers, either side of the receiver on the boot floor, try cleaning them and apply a generous application of silicone spray. Same applies to the rubber seals around the body and door.

Also, if one of the gas struts have become lazy it can rattle on the ball/socket and the reduced force acting against the hinge can reduce rigidity. I got a pair of Stabilus from Germany, for €60 delivered, and they have the correct cushioning/brake effect when lifting the tailgate unlike an aftermarket pair I got previously which used to fling the tailgate open in spectacular fashion.

'96 854 TDI SE, '99 V70 2.5D S, '05 C70 2.0T Collection, '05 S80 2.0T SE, '15 V70 D4 SE Lux Nav.
Baffler is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Baffler For This Useful Post:
Old May 6th, 2024, 09:06   #5
vanno

My newly acquired 97 V70 is the same. All I can detect is the rear seats have play when locked upright, you get a clunk over bumps. I guess due to age and wear. Not sure there is a cure for this.
Old May 6th, 2024, 09:59   #6
Ninjabob81

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanno View Post
My newly acquired 97 V70 is the same. All I can detect is the rear seats have play when locked upright, you get a clunk over bumps. I guess due to age and wear. Not sure there is a cure for this.
Just sorted this out on mine, if you fold the seat back down and look into the catch mechanism on the side of the seat, you’ll see what used to be a square piece of high density foam rubber. It’ll now resemble a half crumbled oxo cube…

You need to build this back up to its original height/shape somehow. I work in the aero industry so have access to some quite nice materials but I’m assuming any silicone sealant will do. Carefully squirt a good blob of silicone onto the rubber block, building it back up, but obviously not getting it into the lock mechanism. If you overfill slightly, leave it for a few minutes until it starts to skin over, then you need to gently manipulate it with a tool to the desired height/shape. Now leave the seat back in the down position until fully cured, might take a day or two depending on how thick your silicone is.

Once fully cured, push your seat back into position and marvel at the now silent seat back!!

Rob
The Following User Says Thank You to Ninjabob81 For This Useful Post:
Old May 6th, 2024, 10:46   #7
4x4
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanno View Post
Tesa tape on the pins worked on my P2 V70. This seat has two positions and it rattled in both positions, it's now silent

Volvo 850 GLT website
4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to 4x4 For This Useful Post:
Old May 6th, 2024, 12:14   #8
vanno

Brilliant! Two remedies. I guess the tape sounds the easier, not being too dexterous but if you can do it, I can do it for the silicone method! Update to follow.
Old May 13th, 2024, 13:07   #9
Ninjabob81

Found one!!! O/s/r C pillar trim, inside is one of the sunroof drain tubes, the tube was rubbing on the inside of the trim producing a high pitch chirping noise…. Tesa taped, problem solved. Also added some foam draught excluder tape to the underside of the boot floor panels where any witness marks were on the bracket etc. We’re actually getting somewhere!! Still waiting on my tailgate struts to arrive so hopefully that’ll only reduce the noises further.

Rob.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ninjabob81 For This Useful Post: